At least 600 people have been evacuated from their homes in Granada following a series of earthquakes that have rocked the province.
Authorities ordered the evacuation of six apartment blocks in Las Gabias on Tuesday while technicians assess whether the repeated tremors have caused structural damage.
The affected buildings contain a total of 371 homes, according to Antonio Sanz, Andalucia’s regional minister for emergencies.
Evacuated residents are being temporarily housed in municipal facilities while authorities determine whether it is safe for them to return.
Las Gabias has become the main focus of concern following an extraordinary day of seismic activity across the Granada metropolitan area.
Sanz said nine earthquakes above magnitude 3 had been recorded during Tuesday, including four exceeding magnitude 4.
The latest activity follows a series of tremors that began in the early hours of Saturday, with the epicentre around Alhendin.
The earthquakes have continued in the days since and have been widely felt by residents across Granada and beyond.
Officials stressed that the evacuation in Las Gabias was precautionary and that there was currently no indication the buildings were at imminent risk of collapse.
‘The situation will now be evaluated, but there is no imminent danger,’ Sanz said.
‘We are going to analyse whether there is structural damage and, in the meantime, they have been evacuated as a precaution.’
Initial assessments suggest that damage discovered at the buildings is not serious structural damage, although residents will have to wait for technical inspections to be completed before being allowed home.
The earthquakes have not caused any serious casualties, but emergency services dealt with 14 people requiring medical assistance on Tuesday.
Six cases involved anxiety attacks, while five people suffered dizziness and another three were treated for physical injuries.
Among those injured was a 13-year-old girl who was struck by a falling brick. She was taken to hospital but was later discharged.
The continuing tremors have caused concern among residents, but officials warned that scientists cannot predict whether the seismic sequence will continue or when another earthquake could occur.
‘It is impossible to determine whether the seismic series will continue or not,’ Sanz said.
‘It is something that cannot be predicted. Earthquakes cannot be forecast, but we have to work on informing the public so that people know how to act.’
The Junta said regional authorities, local councils and Spain’s security forces were coordinating their response to incidents caused by the earthquakes.
Read more Andalucia news at the Spanish Eye.
