Spanish health authorities are studying possible safety measures ahead of an international football match near Gibraltar involving the national team of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which is currently battling a severe Ebola outbreak.
The friendly match between Chile and DR Congo is due to take place in La Linea de la Concepcion on June 9.
The comments were made by Spain’s Secretary of State for Health, Javier Padilla, after concerns were raised over the conditions under which the game will go ahead.
The warning comes after the Congolese government confirmed more than 670 suspected Ebola cases and 160 deaths linked to the outbreak in the province of Ituri. Laboratory testing has so far confirmed 64 cases and six deaths.
The outbreak has already prompted the World Health Organization to declare an International Public Health Emergency.
Speaking to reporters, Padilla said Spain’s external health authorities are already monitoring the situation closely.
‘One of the things we are looking at is the transit route of the Democratic Republic of the Congo team,’ he said.
‘We will have to see what controls are established, how long they will stay there and, depending on how the outbreak evolves between now and then, measures will be taken to guarantee that there is not the slightest level of insecurity.’

He added: ‘External health authorities are already dealing with the matter in order to establish whatever measures are necessary.’
According to officials, DR Congo’s national team has already cancelled its World Cup 2026 preparation training camp in the capital Kinshasa and relocated preparations to Belgium instead.
The team is still expected to play its scheduled friendlies in Europe, including the match in La Línea.
Meanwhile, FIFA is said to be in close contact with DR Congo’s football federation, FECOFA, to ensure players and staff receive all necessary medical and safety guidance ahead of the trip.

