The death of Mango founder Isak Andic was initially treated as a tragic hiking accident after the billionaire plunged around 150 metres down a ravine while walking with his eldest son near Montserrat, outside Barcelona.
But almost 18 months later, the case has taken a dramatic turn.
Jonathan Andic, the heir to the Mango empire, was arrested this week on suspicion of homicide after investigators reopened the case and uncovered what a judge described as ‘sufficient indications’ that his father’s death may not have been accidental.
The case had originally been shelved in January 2025. However, it was reopened two months later following fresh investigative work by the Mossos d’Esquadra and forensic experts.
Jonathan Andic appeared before court this week and was released after posting a €1 million bail payment. The investigation into him continues.
Now that the secrecy order surrounding the case has been lifted, details from the judge’s lengthy ruling reveal the key pieces of evidence that allegedly point towards homicide.
Inconsistencies
One of the central issues is a series of contradictions in Jonathan Andic’s statements.
Immediately after the incident on December 14, 2024, he told investigators he had been walking several metres ahead of his father when Isak stopped behind him to take photographs on his mobile phone.
He claimed he then heard stones falling, turned around and saw a body tumbling through bushes before hearing a heavy impact and a groan.

However, two weeks later, Jonathan reportedly changed aspects of his account. He said his father had only used his phone at the start of the route and not again afterwards.
Investigators later confirmed this through mobile phone analysis, which contradicted the original version suggesting Isak had stopped to take photos moments before the fall.
The judge noted that if father and son had truly been walking closely together, it seemed unlikely Jonathan would only have seen ‘a shape’ falling rather than clearly witnessing the incident itself.
Investigators also discovered evidence suggesting Jonathan may have lied about prior visits to the hiking route.
He told police he had only completed the Montserrat trail once before, two weeks earlier. But vehicle tracking data allegedly placed his car at the location on December 7, 8 and 10 – multiple visits shortly before the fatal hike.
The court believes this may indicate prior planning or familiarity with the area.
Analysis of scene
Another major element concerns forensic analysis of the scene itself.
Mountain police examined a suspicious shoe mark found near the point where Isak fell. After carrying out ten separate simulations, experts concluded the mark could not realistically have been caused by a simple accidental slip.
According to the ruling, reproducing the mark required repeatedly scraping a shoe sole across the ground several times in both directions, suggesting deliberate creation rather than a natural stumble.

The terrain itself was also described as relatively straightforward, with no need for specialist hiking footwear.
Autopsy findings
Perhaps most damaging for the defence are the autopsy findings.
The forensic report reportedly concluded the injuries were inconsistent with a forward fall or accidental trip. Instead, the judge said the injuries suggested Isak ‘fell like someone going down a slide, feet first’.
The report allegedly found no defensive injuries on the palms of his hands and determined the wounds followed an upward pattern along the right side of the body, casting serious doubt over the theory of a simple accidental slip.
Investigators also viewed Jonathan’s behaviour after the case was reopened as suspicious.
The judge highlighted the fact he changed his mobile phone on March 25, 2025, shortly after media reports emerged about the investigation being revived. Jonathan claimed his previous phone had been stolen during a lightning trip to Quito, Ecuador.
However, according to the ruling, police enquiries failed to uncover evidence supporting the alleged theft.
Strained relationship
The investigation has also delved deeply into the relationship between father and son.
WhatsApp messages examined by investigators reportedly reveal years of tensions linked to Jonathan’s alleged obsession with money.
The judge stated that witnesses described a severe breakdown in their personal and professional relationship dating back to 2015, when Isak reportedly removed his son from company leadership and resumed direct control of the business himself.
The ruling also claims Jonathan had recently become aware his father planned to significantly alter his inheritance arrangements.
According to investigators, Isak Andic intended to establish a charitable foundation aimed at helping disadvantaged people – a move which may have reduced the inheritance eventually received by his children.
The foundation was never created before his death.
The judge believes this could have provided a potential financial motive.
In one of the most striking passages of the ruling, the court claims Jonathan had expressed feelings of hatred, resentment and thoughts about his father ‘disappearing’, while blaming him for aspects of his own life situation.
The judge ultimately concluded there are multiple indications pointing towards possible homicide, including the alleged poor relationship between father and son, a possible economic motive, evidence of planning, contradictory statements, forensic findings inconsistent with an accident, and written messages showing resentment and fixation on inheritance issues.
Jonathan Andic’s legal team has strongly denied all allegations, calling the accusations ‘an inconsistent and painful conjecture that stigmatises an innocent man.’
No trial date has yet been set.

